Happy Father's Day! Beware the Ides of June!
Had a lovely breakfast at the in-laws. Got Larry a pair of nice cards, and a Micheal Buble' album. He seemed to dig 'em!
Lar made pancakes on the grill's skillet - they were fantastic... and the weather in the morning wasn't super hot... quite nice, actually. We sat on the deck and watched the birds of prey go fishing in the bay - one took off with a giant meal afte ronly a quick glance and dive. Post breakfast, we went into the house and listened to his new CD - it was OK - but I had been feeling rather ragged and zonked out on the recliner until BHK noted we had to go and grab groceries for the cookout later on.
I slept in the car as BHK shopped - we had to turn around at one point, as we'd thought that Adam and Joey weren't coming - we had to grab more dogs, buns, chips and soda-pop to keep the teens fed and happy.
I napped more at home, while BHK made Larry a blueberry/blackberry pie (and one for us at the house, too!)
Everyone showed up at about 7, I grilled meat for the team, Chris brought baked beans and slaw, BHK set everything up, and we ate like we'd just gotten the first meal in days. The folding chairs are going to get a lot of use this summer, I think.
It went well, and as the sun went down, the gang headed out and the sights and sounds of the evening began to rise up... frogs ribbiting, mosquitoes buzzing and nibbling, and fireflies lighting up the garden like dozens of will-o-wisps. we went inside, as the frogs were too busy singing to eat up all of the mosquitoes - the biters didn't stop other folks outside from lighting off roman candles and other fireworks. Maybe the smoke acts as a repellent?
Things seen yesterday and today -
we went to the bitter end - What's the asterisk mean?
saw some graffiti - cycloptic dinosaur and a bleeding heart inscribed with "never".
geese in bikinis
Tonight, someone was shooting off fireworks, and some got caught on newtcam. In North Beach, any holiday is a good excuse for pyrotechnics.
Arbor day? Sure! National Pen-pal day? Heck, Why not?
I am feeling better a bit now that the day is about done - I think the nap may've stiffened my back more than help. Next time, perhaps just a sitting rather than a flat-out snooze will be best. I didn't dwell much on my own father today...just as well, really.
1 year ago
- last day of county gig, hot brain, DC living costs, hero machine sponsored, neil and bugah coming for sleepover, danny visit upcoming, iana gig on monday2 years ago
- payday, mango fest, Phoenix uncomfy, Nonja the rude ape, elvis costello green shirt, chess piece poll, 3 years ago
- David Sutherland RIP, trunk turtles, Easter walkies, chimp pics, paper toys, gCensus, Mothra Song, superhero TV themes, vet mixup, menstrual superstitions, 250 questions4 years ago
- Queequeg, Lizard (a knight anole) pictures, fixed calamity's icon,Mycoprotein, Sammy doodle, sites for positive change, yahoo goes fromsix meg to 100meg (now at 1 gig vs gmail's 2+gig)5 years ago
- Father's Day, vampire game, wondering about a world free of psychoactive drugs6 years ago
- lovely long talk, South Park Scotto, Tea room, Replacement parts, star trek breast insignia7 years ago
- Predators of man, Apt seeking, Nothing sacred, sql/ado. pet quiz, pizza parlor, writing urge, Big Guy and rusty. 8 years ago
- Nothing in particular