Liked on YouTube: 13th Floor Elevators – “Slide Machine”, original mono LP


This is the original 1967 mono mix, created by the artists and their producer. This particular copy is a promo copy, of which it has been said, no more than about 30 were made. I picked this one up for one dollar in 1970 at a used record store on 8th Street in New York City.


For the benefit of those who care about such things, I am reproducing the lyrics from the sheet enclosed with the record below.


From the enclosed lyric sheet:


Slide Machine

(Powell St.John alias John St. Powell)


Well I’ve been down south

Where they use the slide machine

Where the gods of gold are heard

But seldom seen

And here I’ve been

Just stuck up in between

Tryin’ to tryin to

Tryin’ to get back to you

Tryin’ to tryin to

Tryin’ to get back to you


Well the slide machine it sweeps stones

Right off the road

For the tandem trucks

And the loads that they towed

And me I just been lookin

For one goin’ slow

Tryin’ to tryin to

Tryin’ to get back to you

Tryin’ to tryin to

Tryin’ to get back to you


My woman here she’s got a dozen names

She’s sought by soldiers

And they try to keep her tame

But her rewards will leave them just the same

Tryin’ to tryin to

Tryin’ to get back to you

Tryin’ to tryin to

Tryin’ to get back to you


Well I’ve been down south

Where they use the slide machine

Where the Gods of gold are heard

But seldom seen

And here I’ve been

Just stuck up in between

Tryin’ to tryin to

Tryin’ to get back to you

Tryin’ to tryin to

Tryin’ to get back to you

(Vocal: Roky)


The vinyl sound track was restored using Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and Adobe Audition 3.0.


Originally published at The Scotto Grotto (org). You can comment here or there.